Disciplinary procedures

Can I drink alcohol at staff social events?

It might be coming up to the Christmas party, prom season or the end of year social event at your school. You might be wondering if you are able to drink alcohol if the event is hosted in your school or the event is during school lunchtime.

How can I request accompaniment at a disciplinary hearing?

During your teaching career you may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary interview, either following a period of formal investigation or due to misconduct. You should be asked if you would like someone to accompany you to the disciplinary hearing. In this article, we outline the process of being accompanied at a hearing, who is allowed to accompany you, and what they are allowed to do during the hearing.

Police investigation: do I need to inform my school?

During your teaching career you could be interviewed, investigated or even arrested by the police. Offences could range from speeding, drinking and driving, to sexual harassment or grooming of children online. In all serious cases, you will want to notify your line manager or headteacher about what has happened.

Suspended from school

You may be suspended from your school when you are being investigated for a disciplinary issue. You should normally be paid during this period and you should be told why you have been suspended. However, in some rare cases you may be suspended without pay if your employment contract says that this can happen.

What can I expect in a disciplinary meeting?

You may be invited to attend a disciplinary meeting at your school if you have been alleged of misconduct in your role. This will likely be a stressful time for yourself and you may not know what to expect. This article outlines what a disciplinary meeting is, how you can best be prepared and what the possible outcomes of attending a disciplinary meeting are.

What happens during a professional conduct panel hearing?

You may be invited to attend a professional conduct panel hearing by the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) if you have been alleged of serious misconduct at your school. This will most likely be a very distressing time and you might be unsure of what professional conduct panels actually are. This article outlines what you can expect at a professional conduct panel and where you can look for additional information on this topic.

What is an employment tribunal?

You may have heard of employment tribunals but probably have not experienced attending one before. You can make a claim to an employment tribunal if you think your school or academy trust has discriminated against or you have been treated unlawfully. In this article we outline what employment tribunals are, how you can make a claim to a tribunal and what to expect if you attend one.

What is an investigation meeting?

You may be invited to attend an investigation meeting if you have been alleged of misconduct at your school. The investigation meeting will be the first step of the disciplinary process, potentially leading to a disciplinary meeting and a sanction.

What is Early Conciliation?

Early conciliation is a process to settle disputes in the workplace without going to an employment tribunal. The early conciliation process is managed by an organisation called ACAS.

What is gross misconduct?

During your teaching career you may be accused of gross misconduct which is a very serious allegation and could result in you being banned from the classroom.