Selling teaching resources


Selling teaching resources online might be a side-hustle you enjoy. Creating teaching and learning resources and sharing them on websites such as the TES, Twinkl, Pinterest or posting them on Twitter in your spare time. Some websites, such as the TES, are now offering teachers to receive royalties and payment from the resources they create.

This article outlines aspects to consider when selling teaching resources and how to tackle potential issues which could arise from your school.

Selling teaching resources: am I allowed to?

In the majority of cases, yes. Unless it is specifically outlined in your employment contract that you are unable to do so. You will be able to share and sell original resources you have created. As a resource creator you will need to own the copyright and intellectual property for all original material you create.

What happens if my school raises concerns with me about selling teaching resources?

When sharing or selling resources you do not have to link directly to the school where you are working from. There is no obligation to inform your school that you are sharing or selling resources you have created.

If you link your resources to your school, it could reflect on the quality of teaching and learning and could potentially have a negative impact for your school.

If your school raises concern about the resources you are sharing or selling you should try and resolve the issue in a pragmatic manner. If the situation escalates you might want to offer to remove the resources you have posted online. Potentially if you continue selling teaching resources online after being warned by your school it could lead to disciplinary procedures.

We have published another article which outlines what happens during the disciplinary process.

If you have included images or sections text from other sources, ensure you have permission to use them. You will be breaching copyright law if you are making money from resources which include images, audio, sections of text from other persons or organisations. The following websites enable you to use their images for free:

It is always good practice to read through and understood the terms and conditions of the websites you are sharing or selling your resources on.

Do I have to declare tax on any additional earnings?

Yes, you will have to declare your additional earnings with HMRC. The TES has published a detailed overview of how to do this on its website.

Was this article helpful?

The information contained within this article is not a complete or final statement of the law.
While Edapt has sought to ensure that the information is accurate and up-to-date, it is not responsible and will not be held liable for any inaccuracies and their consequences, including any loss arising from relying on this information. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence. If you are an Edapt subscriber with an employment-related issue, please contact us and we will be able to refer you to one of our caseworkers.