Teacher pay in Wales

  • Article Contents

  • Overview

    Teacher pay in Wales has been reformed. The School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) which outlines teachers’ pay and conditions in maintained schools in England no longer applies in Wales.

    Since September 2020, national statutory pay scales were reintroduced in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions (Wales) Document (STPC(W)D).

    The context behind the changes can be read in the following BBC article.

    In this article, we outline the teacher pay scales for 2020/2021 in Wales. For teacher pay scales in England please see the following article.

    We’ve also published another article which provides a background of the Welsh education system for context.

    Teacher pay in Wales

    The statutory requirements for teachers’ pay and conditions for maintained schools in Wales are set out in the STPC(W)D, and schools and local authorities (LAs) must abide by these.

    The Education Act 2002 (“the Act”) gives the Welsh Ministers power to issue guidance on pay and conditions matters, to which those concerned must have regard.

    It should be noted that Independent schools in Wales can set their own pay scales.

    Main Pay Range
    M1 Removed
    M2 £27,018
    M3 £29,188
    M4 £31,435
    M5 £33,192
    M6 a Removed
    M6 (b) £37,320


    Upper Pay Range
    U1 £38,689
    U2 £40,124
    U3 £41,604


    Min 1 £18,169
    2 £20,282
    3 £22,394
    4 £24,507
    5 £26,622
    Max 6 £28,735


    Leading practitioners
    Min £42,402
    Max £64,461


    Allowance ranges
    TLR1 (min) £8,291
    TLR1 (max) £14,030
    TLR2 (min) £2,873
    TL2 (max) £7,017
    TLR3 (min) £571
    TLR3 (max) £2,833
    SEN (min) £2,270
    SEN (max) £4,479

    Was this article helpful?

    The information contained within this article is not a complete or final statement of the law.
    While Edapt has sought to ensure that the information is accurate and up-to-date, it is not responsible and will not be held liable for any inaccuracies and their consequences, including any loss arising from relying on this information. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence. If you are an Edapt subscriber with an employment-related issue, please contact us and we will be able to refer you to one of our caseworkers.