How can I find my teacher reference number?


You might be searching for a new teaching job, applying for supply work or wanting to access your personal teaching record. Your teacher reference number is a unique identifier which you can use when evidencing your teaching qualifications and accessing your teaching certificates online.

In this article, we explain how you can find your teacher reference number and access your teaching record.

We do not hold your teacher reference number, but the article below provides guidance on how to find it.

Finding your teaching reference number

If you don’t know what your teacher reference number (TRN) is, this can usually be found on your payslip or teachers’ pension documentation.

You can also contact the teacher qualifications help desk to request your number. You’ll need to provide your full name, date of birth and National Insurance number.

You’ll need to use your TRN to access your individual teacher record.

The TRN has previously been known as a QTS, GTC, DfE, DfES or DCSF number and therefore may include the letters RP and the forward slash symbol ‘/’. 

For example, if your number is ‘RP99/12345’, just enter ‘9912345’. If your number is ‘68/12345’ just enter ‘6812345’

Use your teacher reference number to login to the teacher self service website

Only the 7 digits are needed to log in to the teacher self service website.

This service allows you to:

  • View your teacher record
  • Obtain electronic copies of your QTS and induction certificates
  • Obtain electronic copies of relevant leadership qualification certificates
  • Update your personal details
  • Download a letter confirming your teacher qualifications
  • Input your employment details

If you have any questions about your teacher record, or have difficulty accessing the service you can contact:

Database of qualified teachers in England

The GOV.UK website explains that the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) maintains the database of qualified teachers in England. 

Information available on teachers’ record include:

  • Name
  • TRN
  • QTS
  • Induction status
  • Details of additional leadership qualifications
  • Mandatory qualifications

Database of qualified teachers in Wales

The Education Workforce Council (EWC) is responsible for the notification of award of QTS for school teachers in Wales, on behalf of the Welsh government.

Under the Education (Wales) Act 2014 the EWC was required to establish and maintain a Register of Education Practitioners in Wales.

In accordance with the Education Workforce Council (Main Functions) (Wales) Regulations 2015, as amended, registration is a statutory requirement for registered school teachers.

Further support

You can contact us for advice and support if you encounter difficulties when securing employment or when a job offer has been withdrawn because of an inadequate reference.

We’ve published another article which outlines how you can request a reference from your school.

Was this article helpful?

The information contained within this article is not a complete or final statement of the law.
While Edapt has sought to ensure that the information is accurate and up-to-date, it is not responsible and will not be held liable for any inaccuracies and their consequences, including any loss arising from relying on this information. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence. If you are an Edapt subscriber with an employment-related issue, please contact us and we will be able to refer you to one of our caseworkers.