Moving school or career

Enhanced DBS check: what do I need to know?

You may be a teacher moving to work in a new school or starting supply work. All teachers and school staff will need to have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Your school or supply agency will apply for an enhanced check on your behalf.

How can I find my teacher reference number?

You might be searching for a new teaching job, applying for supply work or wanting to access your personal teaching record. Your teacher reference number (TRN) is a unique identifier which you can use when evidencing your teaching qualifications and accessing your teaching certificates online.

How can I request a job reference from my school?

If you have accepted a job offer to work at a different school or workplace your new employer will make a request for a reference. In the vast majority of cases there is nothing to be concerned about and your reference should highlight your successes in the classroom.

How do I find my QTS certificate?

How do you find your QTS certificate and do you need it when applying for teaching jobs? You will need to login to the Teacher Self-Service Portal to access electronic copies of your QTS certificate.

Internal recruitment in schools

You might be disappointed because you have been unsuccessful or overlooked during internal recruitment at your school. You might question why a colleague has received a promotion over another colleague and do not think your school is following a fair or transparent recruitment process.

Supply teaching: what do I need to know?

You might be thinking about taking on supply teaching to reduce your workload or as a temporary solution when searching for a new career. Many teachers enjoy the flexibility and reduced hours of supply teaching. However, supply teachers can often receive reduced pay, are unable to access the Teachers’ Pension Scheme and do not receive the same benefits such as sick pay or maternity pay as teachers employed directly by schools.

Teacher probation periods: what do I need to know?

Teacher probation periods are increasingly found more often in employment contracts. It’s an interesting topic as probation periods are not mentioned in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) or Burgundy Book.

What are my rights when faced with redundancy at school?

You may be aware of colleagues who have been made redundant at your school or are going through the redundancy process yourself. There are a number of reasons why you could be made redundant and you should be reassured that it is not an uncommon process. In this article, we outline how you can be selected for redundancy, how to appeal a redundancy decision and what rights you are entitled to if being made redundant.

What do I need to know about TUPE?

You might be concerned about your employment rights if your school is converting to academy status. TUPE is a process designed to protect employees against unfair treatment as a result of a transfer of their employment. It is a common process and many thousands of school employees have gone through the TUPE process.

What is a settlement agreement?

During your teaching career you might be faced with deciding whether to sign a settlement agreement with your school or employer. This is often when working relations between yourself and the school break down and both parties are looking to ‘settle’ on agreeable terms where possible.

What is gardening leave?

You may have heard of the term ‘gardening leave’ before but are not sure what it means or how it could apply to your role in school. In this article, we explain what gardening leave is, your employment rights during this period and what expectations can be set when on gardening leave.

What should I do when faced with restructuring in school?

You might have been informed that your school will be going through a restructuring process and you are concerned on the impact it might have on your role, especially if redundancies are taking place. In this article, we explain the process which your school must follow, what can be involved in the consultation process and other factors to take into consideration.

When do I have to hand in my notice at school?

If you are thinking about moving on from your school you will have to provide your notice in advance. It is advisable to check your employment contract to find out if it includes specific details on the procedures to follow.