How do I find my QTS certificate?


How do you find your QTS certificate and do you need it when applying for teaching jobs? You will need to login to the Teacher Self-Service Portal to access electronic copies of your QTS certificate.

It should be noted that we don’t hold information on your QTS certification but this article points you to the right place to find it!

We provide employment advice for support and advice for teachers and school staff. To find out more, click here.

How do I find my QTS certificate?

The Teacher Self-Service Portal provides teachers with access to their records held on the Database of Qualified Teachers (DQT)

The DQT is maintained by the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) which is an executive agency of the Department for Education (DfE).

As a teacher, access to this portal enables you to:

  • view your teacher record
  • obtain electronic copies of your QTS certificate or Early Years Teacher Status certificate
  • obtain electronic copies of relevant leadership qualification certificates
  • update your personal details
  • download a letter confirming your teacher qualifications
  • input your employment details

Do you need your QTS certificate when applying for jobs?

Some schools might ask you to produce your QTS certificate if you are accepting a new job. As part of pre-employment checks, schools must verify professional qualifications, as ‘appropriate’.

It’s up to schools to decide what’s appropriate, but statutory safeguarding guidance does mention checking:

  • The award of QTS
  • The completion of teacher induction

We have also published another article which looks at how you can find out your Teacher Reference Number (TRN).

Was this article helpful?

The information contained within this article is not a complete or final statement of the law.
While Edapt has sought to ensure that the information is accurate and up-to-date, it is not responsible and will not be held liable for any inaccuracies and their consequences, including any loss arising from relying on this information. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence. If you are an Edapt subscriber with an employment-related issue, please contact us and we will be able to refer you to one of our caseworkers.